Monday, July 25, 2011

Packing: Boxes, Bins, and Suitcases

I wish I had bags like this!




I've always dreaded the act of packing. I think it has something to do with having to physically place my life in boxes. Those horrible cardboard boxes.

Some boxes get filled, while others don't. I start thinking that the empty space in those boxes are really just representations or reminders of what's somehow unfilled in my life. But then I argue with myself and say that maybe the space is what has yet to be filled so I should really just be excited. Then of course my senses actually set in and I tell myself that I probably shouldn't have stolen boxes that big from behind Publix.

Of course you have to be careful how you pack because you don't want the boxes and suitcases too heavy  to the point where you can't lift them. Here my mind wonders again. Do I have too many boxes, to much stuff for a 20 year old? Am I the equivalent of a bag lady?

I recently moved into my new apartment complex (the last one for the rest of my undergraduate career).  I started to sing the theme song from the movie Rent while inserting the fact that I measure my life in the boxes.

Another thing packing always seems to highlight is the releasing of what you don't need (unless of course you're a hoarder). By the end of my Rent singalong I had five large suitcases, a trunk, three boxes full of books, five reusable bags full of kitchen crap, and mounds of trash.

BUT the ordeal is over with! It's only another four months until I have to do it all over again....



Looks kind of clustered, I know.
This photo reminds me of my childhood I Spy books. There is so much going on!


I needed a bit more space, so the top shelf of my bookcase is a suitcase.
Check out my Nike running shoes.
My tea mat of the floor endured my trip back from Tanzania.

 Will work actually get done here? Only time can tell.
New read: Black Feminist Archaeology.
Ever tried kava root? It's amazing.

2 comments:

  1. Hello! You have an interesting website. It is nice to visit here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I hope you come back!

    ReplyDelete