Monday, December 19, 2011

Graduation Day


Two days ago I walked across a stage with a kente stole and three honors chords around my neck. It was a walk that signified the ending of my undergraduate career. It was a walk away from my undergraduate years and a walk towards the beginning of something new. This was a walk towards change and a well needed one. Vacations, internships, conferences, applications, and graduate school are just a few changes I have to look forward to; not to mention all changes coming my way I can't see

Known knowns
Known unknowns
Unknown knowns
Unknowns unknowns



The next day I packed the remainder of my apartment in three boxes and two suitcases and moved out of Gainesville. I headed towards the airport and boarded a plane to the start of the rest of my life...

It was weird. I didn't cry when I left. I didn't say many goodbyes. I didn't see the point. Why cry about change, it's bound to happen so just be open to it. I didn't say goodbye because I know I'll see my friends again, so it's not really "goodbye" more like  "I'll see you later".

To the new changes both good and bad, I'm open to them...


4 comments:

  1. "It was weird. I didn't cry when I left. I didn't say many goodbyes. I didn't see the point. Why cry about change, it's bound to happen so just be open to it. I didn't say goodbye because I know I'll see my friends again, so it's not really "goodbye" more like "I'll see you later"."

    There's no right or wrong way to react to graduation. It's one of the most mixed-up times in your life, the prevailing feeling might be "Woohoo, I'm free!", it might be a nagging sense of worry about the graduate jobs market, it might be a bittersweet feeling that things are changing or it might be the feeling that you simply can't wait for what the world's got in store for you. There's nothing simple about graduation.

    And I don't know about you but I think that the best changes are usually the ones you can't see. The good ones are nice surprises and the bad ones test you, make you adapt. I wouldn't go so far as to say there's no such thing as bad change or anything ridiculous like that but good things definitely come out of changes you could do without, if that makes sense. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nic I think you are right. The best changes are those you can't see. The only thing people can ever really count on in life is change and all I hope to do prepare the best I can but always be open for the unknown unknowns
      .

      Delete
  2. happy graduation! wishing you the best vegetables and other successes in your future.

    ReplyDelete