Thursday, January 27, 2011

Me and Nikki Giovanni

Me and Nikki Giovanni! Can you tell that I'm overly excited? 
My smile is so wide it's borderline creepy.

I was among many fellow Gators last Thursday listening to Nikki Giovanni speak her mind and read her poetry. Knowledge spilled from this women's mouth like air and the audience couldn't get enough. A good friend of mine hooked me up with some tickets to a mini dinner they hosted for Dr. Giovanni before the lecture. I was able to snagged a picture with a friend's camera because I came totally unprepared. My hands were shaking as I awkwardly smiled with her. I was also able to get two books signed!! One for my loving mother and one for keeps!

Three points I took away from her lecture:

1) If anyone ever wants to learn how to keep their humanity under extreme cultural extermination they need to first look at the African Diaspora.

2) Language is power. Know the origins of the language you speak, be sure you are never just reiterating colonial domination and subjugation. 

3) Mean what you say. At all times take ownership of your words.

1 comment:

  1. Bragging that is what this is!!! LOL Love you!!! You are amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete