Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Conference Experience at SHA



Earlier this month I attended my first archaeology conference, Society for Historical Archaeology (SHA). It was a learning experience to say the least and an extravaganza that only Austin could provide to say the most. My biggest concern at first was the cost. The flight there and back, the hotel, and food was enough to empty my pockets till finical aid came in. As it turns out, flying into Austin is costly and staying at the hotel where the conference takes place equates to hemorrhaging money from my wallet. I will not be making that mistake again. The amount of money it cost for food alone was about 40 dollars a day. Mainly because my advisor wanted to take us out to dinner and give us a true Austin experience. The cost needless to say was well worth it. I will forever remember the treats that only Austin could provide.


Side Note: Ken’s Donuts are the best in the world. Well at least my world.

My main academic focus is on African Diaspora Studies with an archaeological lens. I mainly attended presentations that revolved around that focus. The knowledge gained overshadowed the long flights and busy airports.

Let’s clear something up. I’m a woman. I’m a Black woman. I was one of under 20 (that I saw) Black people at the conference. To my knowledge I was the only Black undergraduate. Imagine my new found friends shock when they discovered I wouldn’t be attending the Pub Crawl event with them because I wasn’t of age. The fact that there weren’t many Black people at the conference wasn’t shocking, nor should it be because it’s a reflection of the amount of Black female archaeologist in the actual field. There are few of us.
I speak mainly about the paper presentations as a student new to this field, the literature and the knowledge it produces. I’m hungry for knowledge at all times; luckily the conference filled and pleased my appetite.  A lot of the discussions and paper presentations on plantation and African Diaspora archaeological sites focused on minute details that didn’t translate into the production of new knowledge or engaged in the political implications of their work.

However overall I’m satisfied! For my first conference it was everything I expected and so much more. I made contacts and friends that I intend to keep in touch with and hopefully work with one day.


Peace

1 comment:

  1. As you get closer to real knowledge your committment to your quest is going to be your greatest asset!
    Always maintain your hunger for knowledge (it will help to keep you focused)!
    In history people of color were known as the knowledge givers (the 1st schools of knowledge were in Africa), but time & tribal (race) wars have shifted the scope interest we people of color have.
    You are a blessing & hopefully an inspiration for more woman of color to take the front lines in re-educating & re-establishing our identity throughout the diaspora!
    I luv ya!

    -1Luv-
    -Uwezo Akili I-

    ReplyDelete