Friday, December 31, 2010

2011 Reading List

In between reading books for my anthropology and African American studies class in 2011 I will squeeze in time, mainly on bus rides to and from campus, to read entertaining books. My 2011 book list is below. If I’m lucky I’ll finish half the list. Don’t judge me; when it comes to my anthro and AFA classes I’m up to my neck in books, articles, and chapters to read. However, if I don’t make the time for some light reading (or should I say ‘self proclaimed light reading’) I’ll blow my brains out. Check out my list… I’ll most likely be writing blog entries on them as I finish them.

1.  Wild Seed by Octavia Butler 

 My last Octavia Butler Book! Ok, I’m cheating with this one, because I’ve already started it, but I intend to finish it within the next few weeks. Once again the late Ms. Butler has stolen my heart with yet another promising book that tackles race, gender, religion, poverty, power, politics

2. Sistah Vegan by Breeze Harper

 This anthology discusses veganism from a racial standpoint while discussing "nutrition, food, ecological sustainability, health and healing, animal rights, parenting, social justice, spirituality, hair care, race, gender-identification, womanism, and liberation that all go against the (refined and bleached) grain of our dysfunctional society” according to www.amazon .com.  I'm excited!

3. The Vegetarian Myth by Lierre Keith 


4.  Archaeology of Violence by Pierre Clastres 

5. Finders Keepers by Craig Childs


6. The Naked Ape by Desmond Morris 


7. The White Man's Burden by William Easterly 



8. The Trouble With Diversity by Walter Benny Michaels


9. In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan 


10. Get the Sugar Out by Ann Louise Gittleman 



11. The Hunger Game by Suzanne Collins 


12. A Thousand Spendid Suns by Khaled Hosseni 


13. Little Bee by Chris Cleave 


14. The Help by Kathryn Stockett


15. Mama Miti:  Wangari Maathai and the Trees of Kenya by Donna Jo Napoli


The links are all to Amazon because my wallet loves them. If you're a student for a year you can get free shipping on their already cheaper than Barns and Noble books. Happy Reading!

Peace


No comments:

Post a Comment