Monday, May 7, 2012

From the Bookshelf: Assata: An Autobiography



I think I have a new found sweet spot for autobiographies. I'm trying to type the words that could explain the emotions that spill off the pages in this book. There are none, or at least I can't eloquently lay them out so I oped for a list instead:

  • It is a brilliant illustration of the pervasive, gross, and dehumanizing prison system we have in America.
  • It is the story of a political prisoner; a story not unlike many political pensioners that seem to have fallen on deaf ears since the 21st century.
  • It is the story of a black woman that made the choice to stand for a cause. 
  • It is a must read for members of my generation that are striving for  social justice, equal education, economic freedom so that the pursuit of happiness doesn't seem so damn impossible. 
  • It is powerful ad empowering. 




No comments:

Post a Comment